Friday, January 07, 2011

Get To Know - DJ Poppy

It is amazing how social media has helped link professionals in the wedding industry together. I learned of DJ Poppy from Facebook and through this blog will introduce you to him as well. I have not had the opportunity to work with DJ Poppy yet but if you are looking for a DJ add him to your list to check out.


And now...Get To Know - DJ Poppy




1. What type of services do you offer?

DJ Poppy brings the music to your party. I have mobile sound equipment for small (about 30 people) and large (about 300 people) rooms with lights that move with the music. I prepare a playlist of your choice of songs for the event and pick the next song to match the mood of the moment.

2. Where are you located and what area do you service?

I work from home in Holland and like to cover western Michigan, from Saugatuck to Grand Haven to Lowell and all places in that area.

3. How long have you been business? How and why did you get started?

My wife reminded me that I was the DJ at our wedding party in 1974. I have played music since the ‘70s, from vinyl records, acetate tape and computer discs, for friends and family at birthday, wedding and retirement parties. I took on the “DJ Poppy” role and purchased my current equipment for my daughter’s wedding in August 2008, then moved from northern New Jersey to Holland in December 2008.

4. What do you think sets you apart from other vendors in the industry?

My experience in playing music and passionate study of popular culture go with my age. I’m from the Baby Boom generation, nearly a 60-year-old hippie. Although I like to sing along, I can perform songs with horns, guitars and percussion instruments. And I play your music at your volume; some DJs turn a deaf ear to requests for personal themes and will not lower or raise the volume level.



5. Is there anything that you specialize in?

I love to listen and play funk, reggae and ska. But my specialty as a DJ is your themes and preferences in music. I appreciate variety and work hard at picking the next song.

6. When you’re not busy working, how do you like to spend your downtime?

Poppy, or Bruce Cooke, is really a grandfather. I am retired from 35 years of teaching high school mathematics, so I can do what I like. At this point in my life, every day is a “snow day,” an extra vacation with its own adventure. I go drag racing in my 1971 Dodge Charger in the summer, I play with bar bands on Saturday nights, I play with the praise team in church on Sundays, I fix things around the house and usually have a student to tutor during the week. Many people come to the Lakeshore for a vacation, but I live here. I’m having a party every day.

DJ Poppy, the cheap and fun party music guy
Djpoppy123@gmail.com
(616) 558-2488
on facebook: http://tinyurl.com/dbhl8o

.

3 comments:

John said...

A great resme that inspires confidence

John
JMF Disco
Wedding DJ and Mobile Disco

brenda emily said...

DJ Poppy was the DJ at my wedding and he was the best! He is highly recommended.

djcooke said...

was DJ for my daughter's wedding - did a wonderful job - I love it that he does what YOU want to do, and is responsive to suggestions on the spot - many DJ's take your playlist and then somehow do things THEIR way - do it your way and at a very reasonable price!